Curated by Suresh Jayaram and Sagar Shastri.
We have been working and collaborating with Bangalore artists on this topic – “Urban Fabric”. The initial research is funded by India Foundation for the Arts-IFA with 1Shanthiroad Studio.
This community project archives the diversity and the cosmopolitanism of Bangalore will document the city’s culture through the fabric. Tracing shifts from handlooms to power looms, and from hand-tailoring to garment factories, the project will bring together works of artists who have focused on the labor and the materials of fabric, craft skills, the micro-narratives, and textile in the city.
This art project supported by – India Foundation for the Arts, Project 560, Goethe-Institut / Max Muller Bhavan, With Venue sponsor by Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath.
1. Shantamani- Paintings about Binny Mills
2. Archana Hande- installation with garment labels
3. Lalitha Shankar & Shyamala BJ- collaborative weaving project
4. Shwetha Venkatachalapathi- an artist who has worked on Quilts
5. Anita Reddy – quilts from the Siddi community
6. Umesh Kumar- the Darzi project
7. Surabhi Sharma- Film Above the Din of Sewing machines
8. Jeevan Xavier – Material, text, and sound
9. Suresh Kumar – Live Performance
10. Smita Cariappa – Live Performance
11. Renuka Rajiv– Quilts
12. Munira Diwan – Installation
13. Surekha – Video
14. Lavanya Mani – Fabric works
15. Aishwaryan K. – Paintings
16. S.G Vasudev
17. Ojasvi Peshawaria
18. Rakhee Shenoy
19. T.V. Tharakeshwari
20. Jayshree Poddar